Wow and double wow! What a treat to see this splendid ship up close!!!
Many thanks to Paul Morrison and his sister Kathy. Paul called a few days ago with the very generous offer to show me the osprey nest on the Annisquam, spotted by Kathy, about half a mile from the Marina, and best seen by boat. On the way to see the nest, we spied the Oliver Hazard Perry just beginning to make its way into Gloucester Harbor. Paul, again very generously, suggested we detour out to see the arriving tall ship. And it is a beauty! The Oliver Hazard Perry will be in Gloucester Harbor for one night only however, look for its return in September, when it will remain in Gloucester a few days. I believe, at that time, folks will be able to tour the boat!
The Oliver Hazard Perry is the largest civilian sailing vessel in the United States and the first of its kind to be built in over 100 years. Its mission statement is to, “provide innovative and empowering education-at-sea programs to promote personal and professional growth.”
Read lots more about the Oliver Hazard Perry on the ship’s website here.
About the ship, from the ships’s website: The hull for this new ship was initially begun in Canada and continued at various shipyards in Rhode Island since 2008. These included; Promet in Providence, Senesco in North Kingston,Newport Shipyard and she is now being commissioned in Portsmouth at the Hinckley Marina. Once complete she will move to Newport to the new dock at Fort Adams.
The Check out the construction of our vessel through our blog or through Narragansett Bay Shipping.
We are grateful for the support of a number of marine trade partners who have been an instrumental part of this magnificent project.
The ship is named for Newport’s War of 1812 naval hero Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry. SSVOliver Hazard Perry is owned and operated by the non-profit Oliver Hazard Perry Rhode Island, and represents Rhode Island and our rich nautical heritage wherever she goes. Her home port will be Newport and she will sail the world as an ambassador of our proud state.
The success of SSV Oliver Hazard Perry relies on the generosity of donors and supporters, both large and small, from individuals and businesses to corporations, so please consider making a generous gift or donation today.
- Build and maintain Rhode Island’s own tall ship that is the largest, privately owned active Tall Ship in the US.
- Offer sail training programs for all ages.
- Develop and teach sea-oriented educational programs for secondary and college level students.
- Provide pre-professional training for individuals wishing to make their careers at sea.
- Work with Rhode Island marine trades to establish training programs and to create job opportunities.
- Represent Rhode Island in American and foreign ports.
- Display and interpret the ship’s history for the education and enjoyment of the general public.