22 Plum Street
Gloucester, MA 01930
firstname.lastname@example.org ~ 978-283-3910
Sole proprietor Kim Smith Designs. 1985 to present. Current projects:
• Working in collaboration with Chris Muskopf of Cambridge Seven Associates, designed the City of Gloucester’s award winning HarborWalk Butterfly Gardens. Project initiated 2012.
•Design/build/maintain butterfly garden at Philips Andover Academy Children’s Campus Andover, Massachusetts. Project initiated spring 2013 to present.
• Design/build butterfly and pollinator habitat garden at Pathways for Children, Gloucester, Massachusetts. Project initiated June 2014.
• Design/build/ pollinator gardens at Willowdale Estate, Bradley Palmer State Park, Topsfield, Massachusetts. Project initiated spring 2008.
• Design/build/maintain garden for the Mary Prentiss Inn, Cambridge. Project initiated fall 2012 to present.
• Design/maintain garden for the Kendall Hotel, Cambridge. Project initiated fall 2015 to present.
• Design/build habitat gardens for private clients New England region, 2009 to present.
• Design/build, with students and faculty, butterfly garden at Eastern Point Day School, Gloucester, MA. Spring, 2008.
Kim Smith Films:
- A Flight of Monarchs – Short film created for the Berkshire Museum.
- Life Story of the Black Swallowtail Butterfly – Documentary
- Beauty on the Wing ~ Life Story of the Monarch Butterfly. In production (release scheduled 2018).
- Currently creating documentary films about Gloucester’s Feast of St. Joseph, Saint Peter’s Fiesta, The Piping Plovers of Gloucester, and a children’s film, The Lonely Swan.
- Films and photographs for the “Butterflies” exhibit at the Berkshire Museum, Pittsfield, Massachusetts.
Books, Lectures, and Exhibits:
• Recognized as an Essex National Heritage Trailblazer 2017 for her work creating people to place.
• Essex National Heritage Commissioner 2017 – 2021.
• Author and Illustrator Oh Garden of Fresh Possibilities ~ Notes from a Gloucester Garden,
David R. Godine, Publisher. February, 2009. Boston Globe Best of 2009.
• Author and Illustrator children’s book Beauty on the Wing ~ Life Story of the Monarch Butterfly.
• Journalist/photographer for national and regional periodicals. 2005 to present.
• Frequent lecturer and instructor on creating habitat gardens with native plants. Programs include: “Beauty on the Wing ~ Life Story of the Monarch Butterfly,” “The Pollinator Garden,” “Butterfly Gardening,” “The Fragrant Garden,” “Your Garden as Habitat,” and “Oh Garden of Fresh Possibilities.”
• Guest Instructor and Lecturer at the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University and Tower Hill Botanic Garden: “The Pollinator Garden,” “Butterflies of Summertime,” “On the Wing: Migratory Butterflies,” “Nature in Focus,” Close-up Photography Workshops. 2008 to present.
• Daily photo/journal/video contributor to the community blog Good Morning Gloucester.
• Photo/journal exhibit Beauty on the Wing ~ Life Story of the Monarch Butterfly. In partnership with the Massachusetts and Gloucester Cultural Councils. Matz Gallery of the Sawyer Free Library, Gloucester, Massachusetts. September 1, 2009 – October 1, 2009.
• Bi-monthly garden design columnist, with a focus on planting native flora to attract native fauna, North Shore Planet newspaper. 2005 to 2010.
• Haiti Projects, Inc., clothing and textile designer. 2007 to 2010.
• Photo journal exhibit “The Journey of the Monarch Butterfly. “Presented at the Matz Gallery of the Sawyer Free Library, Gloucester, Massachusetts. September 1, 2007 – October 1, 2007.
• Volunteer for community theatre productions. Producer, costume designer, set designer, stage manager. Boston and Cape Ann. 1980 to 2005.
• Sole proprietor couture clothing design firm 1980 to 1985.
Landscape Institute of the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University
The School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Massachusetts
The School of Fashion Design, Boston, Massachusetts
Massachusetts College of Art, Boston, Massachusetts