From the Newbury Historical Commission:
For a little over 100 years, the only bridge crossing the Parker River was Thurlow’s Bridge (1654), located on Middle Road (south of Governor Dummer Academy). The first bridge across the Parker River on the High Road (Route 1A), was built under the direction of Ralph Cross in 1758; it considerably shortened the distance to and from Rowley and Ipswich. Although the structure has been repaired and replaced many times since it was built, over it traveled Benedict Arnold in 1775, Washington in 1789, President Munroe in 1817, and the Marquis de Lafayette in 1824. The 1911 structure was partially washed away in 1929. The 1930 bridge was replaced with a new structure in 2010.